Saturday, November 14, 2009

Breaks My Heart Every Time...

This girl... she has a new habit. It's about six months since this started. Every time I leave her, Mabel simply ignores her sunny bed on the back porch where she can keep all our critter-visitors at bay. She disdains the bed just inside the back door with the view of the porch. And her downstairs bed, the one she favors when I'm cooking or doing laundry, ceases to exist. So do her beds in my office, art studio and bedroom. Never mind that my own queen-sized bed, that she allows me a tiny portion of, is under a fan or near the heating vent. She abandons all of her creature comforts that I've given her.

Instead, she prefers to lie alone in the dark, damp workshop, amongst my tools, tons of rubber stamps and tanks of propane, sometimes for hours on end... waiting for me. This is as close as she can get to where I park my car, the point of my exit from her. It is there she keeps vigil until I return.


3 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Mabel's a good girl, and she must think you're a pretty good girl, too. She's letting you know you're what matters most to her.

Anonymous said...

aww! what a faithful dog. That is so sweet.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I know but she's older and I want her to be comfortable. I hate thinking of her sitting in that dark place!!!