Monday, May 13, 2013

May Photos - My Mother


 It's funny - the photos we like of ourselves and the photos others like of us. This is my mother's favorite photo of herself. It was taken in the fifties at a Mardi Gras Ball where her older brother was the king. She has a giant version of this on her mantel and had smaller prints made for my sister and I about 20 years ago.


This would be her second favorite.This was actually a black and white photo of her from the forties. As a gift for her, I had it colorized but the artist got a detail wrong. That dress was a V-neck. But I was impressed at the accuracy of the other details.
Maybe these are not my favorites because I wasn't around then. This is not the mother I know. This next one is my favorite:

It was taken in the early eighties in our home in McComb, MS. Mother was doing dishes... as always. 

And this was was taken in my kitchen in 2010, after she allowed my sister to talk her into going gray. (I've nearly talked her out of that and she's almost ready to be brunette again!) She's holding Twinkie's brother Predrito and I simply love the smile on her face.



4 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Ah, the memories. Mom has so many old photos of her family - she really needs to get going on the scanning.

How fun to see Pedrito - do you still see the gang?

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Millie and Walter said...

Most of the pictures I have of my mom are the school pictures she had taken during her years as a teacher. It is funny to look back at them and all the different hair styles. I love the picture of your mom with Pedrito.

Cindy

The Daily Pip said...

I think these are all really love pictures. Of course, my favorite might be the final one - such a sweet picture with the puppy.

Your pal, Pip

Unknown said...

what a series of down the memories photos! My mom's mom doesn't have many photos with her but we all treasure what she has.