Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Uh.... Tina???

Last night was a very sad night. I was trying to show Macy which part of the sofa was hers. She seemed afraid to get up so I got a cookie and tossed it on the sofa and popped into the kitchen to turn off the light. She was getting up to the cookie as I reappeared and I plopped on the sofa. She looked up in sheer horror, cried and ran across to the dining room.

I assumed she thought she was in trouble. So I got her to the foot of the sofa and tried to coax her up. That didn't work. So I tried to lift her up. She cried, rolled over looking up at me in fear! Then got up and ran out the back door! It dawned on me that someone had beat the crap out of her for getting on a sofa!

Suddenly her strange behavior of sitting behind a chair where I can't see her made sense! She has no idea that her new mom has been highly trained in the art of sofa cuddles. Heck, I buy sofas explicitly for dog use!

So we had cuddle lesson #1 last night. I put her on a leash, got some cookies and made her sit next to me on her bed. I petted and praise and fed for about two minutes. I undid the leash and let her make her own choice. She went behind the chair.

Cuddle lesson #2, this morning. Repeated the above. Undid the leash. She got up, drank water and chose to stay in the dining area about five feet away. Progress. I stayed put. Shortly, she got up and came within touching distance on the other side of her bed and allowed me to pet her. More progress.

Knowing she's been mistreated (as if all those adoptions weren't mistreatment!), changes the game. I'm so aware of how much calmer I need to be and so much more patience is required. My heart aches for her.

I'm still trying to get her to learn her name. This morning after a walk, I brought her in and tried the basics (which she ignores off leash). On leash with cookies up for grabs, she ran through sit, down, paw and stay like a champ!

But it dawned on me at at age THREE, she HAS to have name from somewhere that means something to her! I came home from work and did some research. I found out she was originally from Orange County (Poor baby! Moved from the beachy cool weather to the super hot valley! No wonder I feel like she wants me to take her home when she sits in the car!).

I found her old pet i.d. number from there and called them and begged for her original name. It's TINA!

I called her Tina. She lifted her head in recognition, but since then nothing! No response! So now, I'm debating....do I call her Tina or Meena or Macy?

And what about training? I'm terrified of over-correcting her! (I've trained rotts, nothing this tiny ever!). And she needs to be rattlesnake trained before the creek... will an electric shock collar send her over the edge??

Advice needed and appreciated! And prayers and good thoughts for our road ahead...

8 comments:

Ethan's Blog said...

Iam praying for calm patience and super intuition into your sweet dogs needs...she is so blessed to have your love and wisdom. It may take time, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Millie and Walter said...

I wish I could offer advice, but I will send good thoughts and vibes to both of you. I think you could keep her name Macy and she will easily learn it.

Cindy

Unknown said...

Calm patience, love and consistency. You've got it down! It will take time, but most dogs I have seen like this blossom. Good thoughts and hope she relaxes some soon.

Duly Inspired said...

Sweet friend, you know what to do, how to love, how to understand, how to teach. Your abilities have amazed me since I've known you. I've learned so much from you through the years! Let me gentry remind you that you are in new territory and with new reactions from this new very special dog. You're still mourning and also getting to know a new love. She needs a lot, and you are the one to give it to her. Let her heal your wounds as you love her through her fears You've got this.

Ruth said...

Mine isn't a Rott, but the biggest thing I've discovered with Bella is to let her decide what she wants and I talk to all the time. She pretty much wants to be in the same room I'm in and I have 5 beds for her. Mostly on the floor so that she can get to them easily and one on the sofa, which I have to put her on. (She only weighs 8#s and is Bichon and Poodle so doesn't jump much.) After 5 years, she knows how to let me know what she wants and pretty much trusts me. She came with lots of physical problems and basically wasn't trained at all. The biggest thing I've found with her is to do everything at the same time and the same place. That seems to help make her feel safe. Got a bit wordy and you probably know all that I said; but, so want you both to be happy and healthy.

GOOSE said...

Here is the web site of the guy who trained me to stay away from snakes.
www.snakesafe.com

You can read about how he does what he does and why. You can also email him and ask questions. He is in Arizona (he comes to Utah for a week once a year). He may also go to other states as well but I am not sure. I would email him your questions and I think he can answer them or at the very least point you in the right direction in your area. He is a GREAT guy and has been working with dogs for many many years. Not just Snake Aversion, but other training also. He is super nice and very sweet. I look forward to hearing what you find out and if you go to the training.
Blessings,
Goose

rottrover said...

She is just so darned cute!!! You're overthinking this. Just relax and get to know each other. You'll both be fine.

Piappies World said...

Hello there Macy!

We are happy to meet you. We've been Mabel Lou's pals but we were not able to blog a lot though we got to see the read through the wonderful tribute posts about her. We are sure you will settle in just fine. You will enjoy lots of cuddles and hugs. And we will be here to share adventures with you.

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Max, Wai-Pai & Forgie