Monday, June 02, 2014

Meet Macy

Well, I honestly didn't plan this out well. I wanted to finish my Mabel Lou review before posting this... but my darn computer is still sick! It will be going to a 2nd repair shop today! The only silver lining is... I can return the pricey monitor!

So while I talk a good game about "not needing another dog" and "getting my career in gear" or "buttoning up my finances" it all apparently means horsefeathers when my mental health is at stake. I have been one sad sack this month. While I was hoping to make it a year or 3 months (as I did between Milly and Maggie) or six weeks (Maggie to Mabel), I only made it 3 weeks and 3 days.

I have marveled at others who take on a new dog so soon after losing a family member. "I just don't get it." I've said that over and over. But today, my friends, I'm here to tell you, I do get it. My heart is healing. And my mentals are 1000% better overnight. And this little girl is the reason:

Macy


We are still getting to know one another. But I saw her online and just KNEW. I went to her shelter looking for her. All the dogs ignored me and I could not find her. I re-searched all the cages for her number and found it but there was a big pitbull there. I went outside looking for help and  walked toward her cage. She spotted me, stood up on her hind legs and reached out to me with her paw! Kisses and cuddles ensued and I knew we were both HOME!

She is still exploring the house, the shop and the yard. She did NOT like her first swim lesson. I wanted her to make the decision to get in or not and I could see she was terrified. So I jumped in and popped up and made her watch me climb and descend the stairs over and over. I then showed her the other step and walked off of it. Lesson two today.

Of all the dogs I've adopted, I don't think I've ever been given such a history on them. I knew enough of Mabel's to make me cry. And Macy's is no exception.

She was adopted out of another shelter on March 17 of this year and that shelter listed her birthday at 3/26/11... so how was she in a shelter at age 3??? I will never know. (Can I add that I'm freaking that this is my first fire sign dog and my first that's not a water sign like me??) 

On 3/21, four days after the adoption, she was picked up on the streets and the owners never claimed her. On 4/9 adopted again and either returned or picked up a few days later. On 4/21, adopted again but now she was injured... bite marks and staples and the new owners were told she would require 2-3 more days in the shelter hospital and would definitely need aftercare with a vet. They paid for her, named her Mary Jane and...never came back! Once again, human rejection allows me to get a new love at a bargain basement price!

And, for the forth time, I've adopted an M and renamed her an M. The name Macy just popped in my head. I sorta wish I had thought of Maize (that pot of gold Mabel left me) but there are plenty of those in Blogville. After knowing her a bit, I think Mini May would have been a better name. She's short and only 50#. I think she may be mixed with Elkhound as she has some "Bart-like" features.

Here's what I've learned in the past 24 hours:

  • Sleeps in her own bed
  • Loves to go for car rides
  • Adored her new aunties (3)
  • Not bothered by the gardeners or the plumbers
  • Not sure about that dog in the mirror (quite comical!)
  • Loves being petted
  • The only word she understands is NO (so sad)
  • Not completely house trained! 
  • Kisses way too frequently
  • No interest in being on furniture!
  • Wanted Bart to play with her
  • No interest in toys or balls (so so sad!) 
  • Walks nicely on a leash

I've got my hands full...and I'm loving every minute of it!

7 comments:

Millie and Walter said...

I'm jumping for joy for you and Macy! It sounds like from her story that she needed you as much as you needed her. I'm sure in time she will learn to love sleeping in your bed and playing with toys. Hopefully some of your pack can teach her how to be a dog again.

My husband and I have never hesitated to fill that void left by our beloved friends when they cross the bridge. There is always someone else out there that needs our love.

Can't wait to learn more about Miss Macy along with you.

Cindy, Millie & Walter

Linda@VS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda@VS said...

So, so happy for you and Macy, Holly! Human hearts are expandable. They hold on forever to the love of a pet that has passed, and they stretch out as much as needed to give that same kind of love to the next pet that comes along and helps us heal.

Ruth said...

So delighted to know you're healing. And, more than happy to know you've found a new fur friend. They are always there (even when not particularly appreciated) to give hugs and kisses. Best wishes to you and Macy! (Actually, I rather like that name.)

Ruby said...

OMD!!! Hey Macy!!! Welcome to your new furever home!!! And, boy Gurl, did you hit the jackpot!! You are gonna LOVES it there, and all kinds of fun thingies to do! You are also gonna loves Blogville, where we can chat and admire your most gorgeous self!
I thinks Mabel Lou is smilin' and barkin' her approval!
I hopes you finally fix your puter!! All Ma can offer for advice is yellin' HBO words at it....
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We came by to tell you how sorry we are for your loss of Mabel. We are very happy to see that you have offered Macy a home and a place in your heart. Love never dies and offering love to someone in need helps our heart mend no matter how badly broken they are. We think Mabel sent Macy to you so that you can mend each others broken hearts.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We are so happy you found Macy!!