It was brisk night and getting kind of late - almost nine - and the neighborhood was unusually quiet. But as we strolled past the houses, inside the warmly lit windows you could see all kinds of holiday happenings:
- A drowsy little girl sitting in her grandpa's lap, reading a story.
- Families gathered around the table, laughing.
- A family playing charades.
- A group of people outside barbecuing steaks, steam billowing off the hot grill.
- A couple un-decorating their tree.
- A man and his children helping his parents load their car for the trip home amongst whispered thank yous, goodbyes and hugs.
- A group of smokers, standing on their porch, caroling to their non-smoking family on the other side of the window. The non-smokers would carol back louder and then the smokers would answer back, laughing all the time.
But a little quiet time with my pup and knowing that some families are actually happy at Christmas was a really nice homecoming present.