Thursday, June 30, 2011

Always On My Mind

My mind seems to be racing from one topic to the next these days - making it hard to focus on any one thing. Maybe if I commit some of them to black & white, it will slow down just a little.


++I've always had a weak spot for Elvis - from his more widely known hits to his religious hymns. I blame this for my obsession with a new favorite tv show, Memphis Beat. It's a darn good cop show with the lead character played by Jason Lee. His character always sings a song - often one made famous by Mr. Presley - in every show. What most people don't realize is the voice behind Jason Lee is really that of I-94 singer Mark Arnell. I couldn't find Mark's version anywhere except Facebook...but his voice is so worth tuning into the show.(Mark Arnell singing Suspicious Minds from Memphis Beat)

In the meantime, here's the King:


++I blame my Elvis obsession on my dad. He sang this song to my mother in his sweet baritone voice. I guess when I hear this, I think of their long sad sweet love affair. It makes my heart ache, wishing that somehow, life could've been a little kinder to them both.

++Work or the lack of work is still freaking me out. I'm turning my resume into six different versions and trying to narrow down my skillsets into specific jobs. But after years of looking for work, I have so many doubts about ...everything. Am I still employable? How will Mabel handle it? And...How do I stop looking at going back to an office job as the end of my life? UGH!

++I've had an overwhelming urge to just clean out and purge all the crap out of my life. It's absolutely insane that one woman and one dog take up this much space. (OK, one woman, one dog and three businesses but still!) Each possession I rid myself of makes me feel just a little lighter and a little better.

++That need to clean and organize led me to redesign part of my website this week...which led to a coding nightmare! In the end, I got it all worked out and the triumph of woman over code feels mighty good!

++I look at my beautiful dog, standing in the creek at sunset. She is on guard, sniffing the air, ever ready to roll. As I listen to that babbling spring...knowing it will be gone in a matter of weeks, I am so grateful to whatever forces landed me here. When I think of the last eleven years, only three have been financially easy for me. But this creek, this scene, this sound, this happy dog are exactly what my soul needed. This has been my sanity. I may be poor, but life is still good!

3 comments:

the booker man said...

dogs help us understand what the really important things in life are. :)
i share your fear of the horrible desk job. i had one for 4 years, and i intend to never have one again!! here's to you finding a fulfilling job that doesn't require a desk!

the booker man and asa's mama

Raising Addie said...

LOVE this pic! It shows so much in just in one picture.

I have been experiencing similar feelings to yours in the last few months. The need to get rid of (donate) those things that I don't ever use. Cleaning... ugh. A never ending job that just sux.

Looking for a job now is not like it was 10 years ago but it sounds like you are on the right track. I have always believed that everything happens for a reason. When the right job is there for you, you will get it :)

BIG Hugs & Kisses
Addie, Lucie and Hailey

the booker man said...

miss creekhiker!

happy happy independence day to you 'n miss mabel lou!! :)

*woof*
the booker man