Tuesday, September 11, 2007

While We're on the Subject of Banks...

Could someone, anyone explain to me why my ATM card (Are you reading this WAMU??) knows my account numbers, my name and my pin number, but, when I'm standing at an ATM and feeling vulnerable, the dang thing doesn't know what language I prefer to speak???

I have the same complaint about my cell phone... when driving down the freeway, why do I have to push 1 for English??? Why can't it just know....?

**************************************

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit CREEKHIKER to enjoy this content LEGALLY.

If you want to know why this message is at the bottom of every post, read this post.
*****************

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't EVEN get me started on the double language thing!

Annie said...

Oh, you English speaker, you.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Jackie, I hear ya!

Annie, You know when I lived in a foreign country I didn't EXPECT everyone to cater to me in English... why is it we're so afraid of offending someone that we allow people to take the driver's test in 100+ languages???

Anonymous said...

They give the driver's test in other languages?? how are they going to prove they know what the road signs mean?

My bank's ATM used to ask me if I wanted English or Spanish, and I found out that I could set my preferences online, so it doesn't ask me that anymore. Good, because I would have brought a hammer and broken the screen. It drives me nuts when every package has instructions AND contents in Spanish. That's why the cooking instructions are so tiny! And I hate seeing boxes of whatever, it seems no matter which way I turn them I get Spanish, so I have no idea what's in the box.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Janet, Isn't it amazing... and then we WONDER why there are so many bad drivers and uninsured motorists here...

I'm going to check into the preferences thing. It drives me nuts!

I hate getting stuff with instruction books in 87 languages. I literally tear out all the pages but English! I hate the instructions that do it front and back... why should I have to store all those pages of instructions in languages I can't read??

Linda@VS said...

ATMs intimidate me in English, let alone in Spanish. I'll go stand in line at the bank rather than deal with my abnormal fear of the card getting swallowed up by the machine.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Velvet, That is a very real fear. I would probably choose to stand in line too but my darn feet usually hurt too much. Plus, the lines out here are abominable. Nothing like back home!