Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Duckpdate 8/11

I thought it was time for another Duckpdate!  I have been overjoyed this week as the ducks no longer run and hide from my rather loud  hiking party.  Maybe it's the good talking to I gave Bart and Mabel about being nice to the ducks...or maybe it's that the team is nearly gown!

I have seen them every night this week. Some nights I don't see them all but there's a big reason for that... the babies are officially flying!!!  Two of them circled up over the team and landed on nearby power poles joining what I thought was just a bird. Then all swooped low and joined the rest swimming! Hank & Sue's mom had told me she had seen them having a lesson last week... and they were sputtering and crashing into the pond. No more!

Last night, two flew off into the distance when I arrived!

Often when we get there, the team is enjoying the last drops of sunlight on the pond. The smart buggers have figured out they don't have to swim away... they can simply descend the back side of the rock and make themselves "invisible."

One little guy (Evan???) even swims within 10 feet of Miss Mabel!

They are all doing well and growing!! I hope I can get some flying pictures before they all fly away!

3 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

How fun that must be to see. And isn't it good to know they are doing so well.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Berts Blog said...

I love that you have named them. My Vickie hopes you tell us all there names.

Bert

Unknown said...

How great for you to be able to see the ducklings grow up!