Monday, June 04, 2007

Possum Pool

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was
written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit CREEKHIKER to enjoy this content LEGALLY.

If you want to know why this message is at the top of every post, read this post.
**********************************

Well, it appears I have a new hobby. Possum Pool - so named by my house guest from Reno.

The past few nights, I've worked in the shop, torching or on the computer til around 10:30 - 11:30 at night. The first night my new hobby was christened, I was exhausted and had just curled up to watch a video with my guest.

Mabel started going berserk, tearing down the lattice fencing that surrounds my property (in front of a cinder block wall). I gave up on the lattice years ago but she was in my vegetable garden after a critter. This is unusual as most critters favor the canal side of my property - that's where the mulberry tree and grape vines are.

My guest got the flashlight and immediately found a possum on top of the fence. I was in no mood for a three hour bout with a critter (Mabel jumping, barking, & whining; Me spraying water; the critter disappearing for a bit and then returning; Repeat ad infinitum.) And, I wasn't about to let Mabel tear up my veggies.

I grabbed a hoe on the back porch, jumped up on my lawn furniture, cued up and BOOM. I knocked that little sucker into my neighbor's yard. Thud. The neighbor's turned on their porch light and came outside as my guest, Mabs and myself quietly went inside.

My house guest was quite worried about the little bugger but I assured her the possum was "part cat" and would be more than fine.

Well, he was. The same thing has now happened three more nights. I'm getting rather good at knocking that little critter off the wall.

You would think he would take off when he sees me coming with that hoe. In fact, I'm starting to think he enjoys his little amusement park ride...he certainly keeps coming back for more.

----------------------

Happy 41st Anniversary to my sister and brother-in-law in Baton Rouge. He says it's a miracle they are both alive. She's fought off cancer several times and somehow has not managed to kill him. My mom and I both think he's qualified for sainthood! I was 2 when they married and was quite an annoying little flower girl in their wedding on June 4, 1966. My BIL is the big brother I always wanted and has been a surrogate dad since my own died. I'm so happy they have each other.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possum pool! You are too funny! I can just see you out there swinging your hoe! LOL

Happy to hear that your eye is on the mend and all is well there with your company.

Annie said...

That's the first time I have heard of this game. But I'll remember it, just in case a possum comes to visit my garden someday.

Nice tribute to your brother-in-law, and sister too.

Anonymous said...

Beady eyed rascal in the corner pocket!

Linda@VS said...

Maybe the phrase "playing possum" means something different from what we've always thought it meant. Too funny!

Best wishes to your sister and her hubby.

Annie said...

Hi again, Creekhiker.

Anonymous said...

Can you come out here and whack the critter that's been trying to get into my garbage can? I mean, you're a pro and all... ;-)

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

You guys have all cracked me up! After I posted, I was a little worried about the reaction... I am an animal LOVER. But trust me the little bugger keeps on coming back.

Thanks too for the comments about my family.