Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mad Enough to Spit

The thing that pisses me off more than the incessant parties every group I belong to seems to think we need to have this time of year is ...Christmas cards.

You may think this strange as I work in the paper arts field. Heck, I used to hand make around 150 cards each year. And in each one, I included a hand written note detailing the last year.

But I'm not knocking Christmas cards in general. I don't even mind receiving mass produced holiday "newsletters."

No, the thing that pisses me off is finding an envelope in the mail from some long lost friend. One I really don't keep in contact with. I rip into the fancy envelope all excited and skip the store bought sentiment on the front, looking, hoping, praying for some juicy detail of my friend's life. And then, I'm crushed. The only thing in the card is "Love, Susie Q."

So, you take the time to shop, spend the money on a card, and time to address the envelope and all I get is Love, Susie Q???? WTF???

Other than knowing my friend is alive, yet another year goes by when I know nothing of her life.

This is the very reason I stopped sending all those cards a few years ago. Just let 'em wonder if I'm even alive to read the stupid things. They don't even go on my mantle or my card wreath that I keep year round in the hall. Nope, they go straight in the recycling bin where they can't piss me off any more!

**************************************

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit CREEKHIKER to enjoy this content LEGALLY.

If you want to know why this message is at the bottom of every post, read this post.
*****************

6 comments:

Linda@VS said...

I stopped sending Christmas cards a few years ago precisely because all I had time to write was "love" and my signature.

It tickles me that for the past several years I can count on receiving two cards early in December: one from the real estate agent who sold us the house ten years ago and one from the man who sold me my car. Their sincerity underwhelms me.

Annie said...

I had the exact same response to a card I received from a guy I worked with years ago when I noticed that it was his wife who had signed his name AND I've never met her and there was nothing other than their names on the card. Geez, I thought, why did they even bother?

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Velvet, I get that from a real estate agent I hated. She KNOWS I don't care for the way she works and yet, every year, there's her card. Those I don't mind... There's no anticipation or emotion with a business relationship.

Annie, My thoughts exactly... why bother?

Janet said...

There's an opposite end of the spectrum here, when people tell you details of their year that you wish they'd keep to themselves.

I'm guilty of that no-info card sending myself, because I think my year wouldn't cheer up anyone, except people who secretly enjoy others' misfortunes. I started including my email address and never have gotten an email from anyone wanting to know more, I don't know if giving my email addy is insulting, or if they just don't care. I don't mind, I don't send out a lot of cards anyway.

Anonymous said...

How can you all be so sad about this? If someone takes the time to send you a card (personal that is), it might be because they care. Not everyone has a lot of time to write as much as they'd like to - so if you have the time and want more contact, why not make the contact yourself. It sounds like you are lonely and could do with a good friend. Why not be the one to make the first move and write about what YOU have been doing and send that off at Christmastime. You might be surprised by a response or two.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Anon - the word was MAD, not sad. I did make contact for YEARS on end. And all I got was "Love, Susie Q."

Years ago, someone told me, "If you want to know if a relationship is working, stop rowing and see if the boat moves."

When I was in a wheelchair a few years back, I realized that I was doing ALL the rowing in many, many relationships... especially the "Love, Susie Q" ones.

Now that's sad...