Saturday, February 13, 2016

Still Beating

I hope no one faints with me posting twice in two days.We have no one to hike with on Saturdays so I've been adding Mr. Bart for extra protection. He's a Senior citizen now but he still disappears at times ... to do "Bart stuff." I went back to the upper river as it's been really hot and Bart and Macy have both been suffering on the mountain trail.

I marveled at the dried mud the waters had overflowed it's banks.


Macy and Bart had both slipped further downstream...it was too overgrown for me to follow...when I found myself face to face with three huge pitt bulls. At first I thought they belonged to the homeless guy who lives nearby...but his are smaller and bark well before they get near people or strange dogs. Finally their owner showed up. After telling me they were friendly, he noticed my leashes and the foursome took off toward my car. Macy and Bart showed up as soon as the big dogs were gone. Wanting to kill some time, I hiked up my pants and just ran into the river. 

It was just so strange to stand in a spot you know but realize the ground is not where you remember it being. It was obvious I had a much higher vantage point. I went up to where the hill had washed out and check it out:


As I mucked about trying to find my bearings, I noticed Macy had decided to take a trail nap.


Only she was chewing on the leg bone of some critter... ewwwww!


I decided to find that clump of bamboo and work from there. I just kept staring down stream, squatting to try and get my vantage point right. I just couldn't imagine that boulder washing away...


Then suddenly, I realized I was standing on it!

It didn't wash away.. it's just been buried! Here's another shot from up in the air...those are our leashes for size reference.



It's been a weird month since David's funeral...I've called Macy "Mabel" more in the last month than I have in a year and 7 months prior. I'm sure that losing my friend has amplified Mabel's loss for me in some ways.

But I love knowing that our boulder is still there! Maybe it's not mine to linger over any more. Maybe it will be someone else's favorite spot someday when the waters come and reveal it again.







7 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I wish it will be your boulder again or the special place of other peeps and pups... Easy said he like the treasure Macy found :o)

Millie and Walter said...

Glad to see you found you boulder. Looks like Macy and Bart had a good time with you.

KB said...

I'm so glad that you found your boulder. It's a special place, and I bet it will emerge from the sand again.

rottrover said...

I love how our canyon always changes, shrinks and grows with time. If it would just El Nino a little, your boulder might actually come back to life!!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Life is forever changing, isn't it? But we are happy you found your boulder - we can tell it holds lots of wonderful memories.

Woos - Ciara and Lightning

Pat Wahler said...

Life is all about change and how we adapt to it. And there's nothing like a long walk to help us think things through.

By the way, my compliments on your sunset photo. It's lovely.

Pat
Critter Alley

Snowbrush said...

The pit bull that put holes in my schnauzer's head was also said to be friendly. First, pit bull owners say that their dogs are friendly, and then they say that their dogs never did anything like that before, and they're probably telling the truth.