Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Spitting Fire

Dear people of Orange County CA... do you recognize this dog? Was she once yours? If you are the one who claimed her as your own and then proceeded to break down every fiber of her spirit and being, you make me want to hunt you down and hurt you.

I am not a violent person... but you, I want to hurt.  I want to hurt you bad.

Look closely at her. You called her Tina. I call her Macy. Her middle name is Blue and that's my tribute to you. You made her that way. You may not recognize her because I'm 1000% certain she looks much happier now than she did with you. But if you really look into her eyes, you'll see the sadness you put there.  I only wish I could do the same for you.



I would start by making you feel so in the way and unwanted that the only place you feel safe is in a car.  I would leave you there for days on end. You would learn to hold your bodily needs for 17 - 20 hours at a stretch because you'd be severely punished if you didn't.

I would never let you in my home and on the few occasions you did get to come inside, I would beat you mercilessly for daring to come on my sofa.

And in the yard, I would spray you down with water just for fun. Over and over and over again. To the point where you would run for your life when I turned on the hose.

You would have nothing to play with. You would never go for walks. Your only joy would be the food I place in front of you.

...But... I can't do that to you. Because I don't have it in me to treat another creature on this planet in that manner. No, all I can do is try, every single day, to undo the damage you have wrought.

I take her for long walks, often in places where she's safe to run free.


I provide routine as best I can not having a set work schedule. I feed her good food and talk to her in a soft and loving voice. I buy her big juicy bones because it's the only thing that excites her. I'm trying to teach her how to play! And I pet her as much as she will allow with soft, kind and loving hands. 


I have given up the thought of long cuddles on the sofa with her, or naps in my bed. It's more than she can handle, thanks to you. But oh so slowly, I see signs that the damage is unraveling. Just this week, she sought my hand for pets... and then did the same to her aunties that we hike with.

And for every step forward, we take a giant leap backwards. We both got into stinky mud on a hike last night and I discovered how vast her fear of the water hose was. I had to think of another way that would clean my girl and not paralyze her with fear.

During this morning's "play lesson," she got over zealous and rolled over a bone. It hurt... and thanks to you, she associates that pain with me.  She hasn't come near me for two hours.  And I knew I had to write you this note.

Since I can't really track you down and hurt you, could you please just do me a favor? Do HER a favor?

The next time you even think of bringing a dog into your home... and I do mean into your home, don't!

Dogs are pack animals. If you can't "pack up" with them...eating, sleeping, living with them as part of your life and you a part of theirs, don't get a dog.

If you can't be kind, don't get a dog. If you can't be patient, don't get a dog. If you are incapable of love, don't get a dog.

Please, let that be her legacy to you...the thing she taught you. You aren't cut out for dogs so please, leave no more damaged precious souls in your wake!


12 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Peggy's parents and one of his sister's had dogs that they treated like lawn ornaments and thought nothing of giving away when they moved. I feel as you do that people who abuse dogs should themselves be abused--and without mercy too.

Unknown said...

People who abuse animals deserve a death sentence. But that's too easy on them. Thank God Macy Blue has you. I hope that everyone who considers getting a dog, looks into getting a rescue dog. But only if they can handle an animal that may need extra care.

Unknown said...

People who abuse animals deserve a death sentence. But that's too easy on them. Thank God Macy Blue has you. I hope that everyone who considers getting a dog, looks into getting a rescue dog. But only if they can handle an animal that may need extra care.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

And yet how easy is it to show a dog love, real love? We really don't ask for much, and we return the kindness with unconditional love. We hope that one day all the bad memories of the past will be forever erased from Macy Blue's mind and heart and sould.

Hugs and Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning and Mom

KB said...

You brought tears to my eyes with your letter. The damage wrought by bad people onto innocent dogs is awful. I've wished to write a note like this on my blog, but I have a problem. The former owner of my fearful dog has found my blog. My story is long and twisted. Suffice to say, for the sake of Shyla's safety, I'll take your letter as speaking for me too.

Let me also say that I bet that you cannot even imagine how Macy will be in a couple of years. Shyla spent all night last night snuggled with us humans. It took 2.5 years for that to happen but it did! You are so kind and loving that I feel sure that it will eventually happen for you, one tiny step at a time.

Ruby said...

Very well said! Poor Macy Blue. Everytime I hear this story, my heart breaks for you. Then I am joyous, because you found your Moms now. And you have the love and the kindness and the home you should have had all along.
I believe you will shake most of the damage that was done to your poor psyche through the loves and patience of your Moms.
I wish I knew who they were too....I would go and poop in their shoes!!!!!! Big fat Airedale poops!!! ☺
I give you and your MOms {{{hugs}}} and
Kisses,
Ruby ♥♥

easyweimaraner said...

I'll second that 100%. I would help you to do the same to this darned folks who treated a dog so badly. i cross my paws that no animal has to live with such people. thank you, that you gave Macy a home, thank you for saving a life.

betsymn said...

Some people just should not have animals, just as some people should not have kids. I'm glad Macy Blue has ended up with you.

Linda@VS said...

Excellent letter, Holly! Keep doing what you're doing; Macy's trust will grow.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

So very well said.....

Millie and Walter said...

Macy Blue is so lucky to have you in her life now. We hope, like KB said, that in time she will be the loving dog you know she can be.

The Daily Pip said...

This a beautiful post! I am so happy and relieved that Macy Blue is safe with you. We face some of the same hurtles with Ruby …may they both eventually leave the past behind and embrace their new life and love fully.