Saturday, December 25, 2010

Savory Cookie Recipes

I don't know what came over my sweet tooth this year but as I was surveying my piles of cookbooks and cookie magazines, the only cookie that seemed appealing was not sweet but savory. As I was baking the last few days several friends on Facebook requested recipes and I thought I would post them here so I could find them again.

I got both of these from some Christmas magazines but since neither prints their tag line on the bottom of the page - and I'm notorious for tearing apart magazines - I cannot give credit where credit is due.

Rosemary Pecan Cheddar Cookies





These remind me of cheese balls I cooked once ages ago. They are just wonderful and I can't wait to make a big pot of chili to go with them! I would add a bit more the chili flakes for more warmth. I also want to try these with a smoked cheese blend!

16 oz sharp cheddar grated fine *
1 cup butter melted
1 cup pecans (Orig recipe calls for 3/4 but it didn't seem sufficient)
3 c. all purpose flour
2 t. fresh rosemary
1/2 t.  sea salt
1/4 t ground red pepper. **


  1. In mixing bowl, combine cheese, butter and pecans and combine well. 
  2. In small bowl, combine all other ingredients. Slowly add to the cheese mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours. 
  3. Preheat over to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment. [or Silpats]
  4. Roll dough into 1" balls. Place 3" apart on baking sheets. Spray a flat bottomed glass with Pam and dip into flour. Use the bottom of the glass to flatten the dough balls. ***
  5. Bake until browned 18 - 20 mins. 


*I only had 12 oz. of cheddar and grated 4 oz. of Trader Joe's Cottswald Cheddar with grilled onions into mine. I'm certain this was a tasty addition!

** Despite my Louisiana roots, I don't like food that is hot in flavor for no good reason. I don't keep red chilis on hand as a general rule however this summer I discovered ancho chilis from the Temecula Olive Oil company (no longer on their website but it may be seasonal). I bought them for their rich warm smell but found the heat too strong. For this recipe, I had just finished chopping my rosemary in my MezalunaJ.K. Adams HB-1010 Maple Herb Bowl with Mezzaluna Chopper chopper and decided to give it a try on the tiny ancho seeds... it worked like a dream! I chopped the hot spicy seeds into minuscule bits and it worked great. In the end, I thought they could be spicier so next batch, I'm going to up it by 1/8 t.

*** I couldn't be bothered to roll them my hand...I was in a hurry. I used my tiniest ice cream scoop and then flattened them with a fork.

Goat Cheese  Parmesan Wafers


These were the BFF's favorites. I couldn't get them to slice as thinly as the recipe suggested so mine were not that pretty.

8 oz. goat cheese
1 stick butter  softened
1 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. Parmesan grated
1/2 c. cornstarch
3 T. chopped thyme
1 T. chopped sage
1 t. sea salt
1 t. ground black pepper

  1. In a food processor, combine goat cheese and butter. Add Parmesan, mix. Add remaining ingredients. Divide dough into thirds. 
  2. Place each portion on parchment and roll into logs about 7" x 1.5". Freeze (Can be frozen for 6 weeks.... great for gifts!)
  3. Preheat oven 325. Line baking sheets w/ parchment or Silpats. Slice into 1/4" slices and place on paper.*
  4. Bake until edges are light golden brown ~ 12 mins. Store in airtight container for up to three days. 

*The frozen dough would NOT slice neatly. I ended up defrosting and hand pressing patties!


----

2 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

They sound yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

rottrover said...

MMMMMmmmmmmm!