Friday, January 19, 2007

Change is Gonna Come

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit CREEKHIKER to enjoy this content LEGALLY. If you want to know why this message is at the top of every post, read this post.

*****************

Welp, my rope ran out this week. I am flat broke. Something I've been close to before but... this is the worst. For the first time in my life, I have to make payments on my credit cards. It's killing me.

I know this may be something everyone does with all regularity, but not me. I figured out a long time ago that interest is my hard earned money making someone else rich.

But times have been rough. The business was actually way better this past year, thanks to my large corporate client and more jewelry sales. But, there is a down side to everything. That same client can take 45 days to pay. And for this last huge order, I stocked up in November, expecting to ship then. But they made the kit bigger...so how could I argue with them spending even more? And so it shipped last week and I invoiced them more than I made all of 2006... and I won't see that for 45 days or so.

Compounding my woes are the fact that same client "lost" a $9,000 invoice that I had counted on having to pay bills this month. And, my rental tenants are over 3 months behind on their rent...over 3k. (It's very hard to evict someone in LA, especially if they are disabled... he had a wreck, she changed jobs all in the same month. They've been with me ten years...something of a record in LA real estate.) So, I've reached the end of my financial rope.

And ... found a "job." Sigh... Here's the weird part. I've been out of the film industry for ages. And periodically quit "the biz" at different points in my life. And every time I think I'm out for good, it calls me back (Hey, fast cash for hard work is right up my alley!). And each time I go back, I go back wearing another hat. It used to be that I would quit for a while and go back moving up the ladder a notch in the production (logistics, staffing, budgeting, negotiation) dept. But the last time I quit, I went back as a writer. And now, I'm a... ART DIRECTOR????

OK, so I am qualified... but it's so weird how people just accept it. The Production Mgr. on this shoot was a coordinator when I was writing. She came in the house we were scouting, saw me on the floor measuring stuff and just simply stated, "So, you're art directing now. Cool." It's
as if she expected it.

Anyway, it's only four very busy weeks but quite a bit of moolah involved and I'll only have to cancel one teaching gig. Not bad. It's going to be stressful and Miss M is so used to having her mom around all day. I hope she will adjust.

And hopefully, all my owed money will arrive while I'm working and things will be just fine. If not, I've got a nice bush in the creek picked out...

4 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, you are the resourceful one. I think you'll land on your feet, or maybe even fly a little when your money starts flowing back to you.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Annie, Thanks, I sure try...

Linda@VS said...

Holly, I left a lengthy comment here earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared into cyberspace. Since Annie said basically the same thing I did--only better and with fewer words--I won't try to recreate mine. I'll just add my sentiments to Annie's and say good for you!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Thanks Velvet, I appreciate the good wishes. Sorry your comment disappeared. I really hate having this approval process but that jerk the other day was posting pages and pages of Bush propaganda and how we are idiots for questioning him...