Tuesday, January 23, 2007

123MEME

BITACLE.ORG steals content. JESUS GLEZ is a THIEF. If you are reading this post on BITACLE.ORG, you are supporting theft of intellectual property. This post was written and copyrighted by CREEKHIKER, who has not given consent for material to be reproduced. Please visit CREEKHIKER to enjoy this content LEGALLY. If you want to know why this message is at the top of every post, read this post.

*****************



Velvet Sacks blog today suggested taking the closest book, turning to page 123 and writing the # 4,5, & 6 sentences.

Since I'm swamped with my new job and my old clients suddenly figuring out that if they paid me on time, I wouldn't be working elsewhere. Not to mention sales taxes and commissions to artists are due this week, my teaching gig started, the largest craft show in the world is going on and every person I know from my old job will be in town and many of them wanting my attention, let's just say, I'M BUSY! And since I lost the dang cord that connects my camera to this computer and there is no way to show you all those fabulous pictures I've been taking, this idea hit the spot tonight.

My closest book is Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words. I used it quite a bit when I was a freelance writer and my second closest book would The Chicago Manual of Style. But Bryson's little guide is small and stores easily by my desk and rarely fails to have the answer I need. It's a must for any writer.

Page 123, Sentences 4 - 6: (on the subject of like, as)"On the face of it, the rule is simple: as and as if are always followed by a verb; like never is. Therefore, you would say, "He plays tennis as if his life depended on it" (verb depended)

Although that is the rule, you may wish to suspend it at times."

So there. A grammar lesson to boot! Hope to be back with a more substantail post in a week or so.

No comments: