Friday, May 04, 2012

Breaking News

Breaking news -er....make that cracking news! The ducks are here!! Yes, folks, it's time for a Duckpdate!

I was struggling with bead photos yesterday when I decided to take some pics on the porch. And look what I found in the pool!

Yep...despite my best efforts to discourage her, Mallory has a dozen duck chicks in my backyard. Morning after morning, I would dash into the backyard, red hair flying, hands clapping, yelling at Mallory and Drake, "THIS IS NOT A MATERNITY WARD!!!"

They would fly away, only to return. The morning I saw Drake and no Mall, I knew he was making a food drop. From that point on, I would only occasionally see her off the nest. And for the last two weeks, I swear she did not move! I put food out for her - pecking distance from the nest but she never touched it.


Once the babies were here, I tossed some food on top of the pool cover and she gobbled and gobbled it up! She broke up the bigger bits for the babies and they ate and ate too! I feel like a heel for not feeding them last year!

By afternoon, I knew I had to get the duck elevators in place. If you remember from last year, it's not the chlorine that kills but the fact that they can't get out of the pool!  They bedded down on one of them for the night. I fretted that it was too cold and finally realized, she needs the babies that close to the water as that is their best way to protect the team!

At 6 a.m. they took their first swim of the morning.  I think I'm in love...


11 comments:

Dee said...

How ADORABLE!

Berts Blog said...

OH we love baby ducks
You are so lucky

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Quack Quack!!! BOL

At least this time you are the experienced helper. They are so cute.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

New England Quilter said...

They are sooo cute! I would have a difficult time working too! Thank you for sharing this little duck family!
Amy

The Daily Pip said...

Oh my, I think I am in love, too. These babies are SO ADORABLE. Keep the pictures coming.

Your pal, Pip

Mt. Baldy Glassworks said...

Thank you for sharing! Just adorable!

CalliopeCreations said...

Simply darling. We have to shoo ducks out of our swimming pool during hatching season.

Too much dog activity. Usually, the hen and drake are just sizing up the site so shooing works just fine. Of course, should a pair get by us and lay eggs, we'd have to deal with it and fence off the nesting site, etc.

Have fun.

rottrover said...

QUACK!! HISS!!!

lotta joy said...

I follow Snowbrush using a different avatar, but it led me to you and I'm glad. I was able to truly enjoy reading another woman who places (rightly) so much love in her fur (and feather) family.

Unknown said...

They are so adorable!

You're so sweet too!

Jill Q said...

What a delightful post ... can't wait for more updates!!!