Friday, July 08, 2011

NOT AGAIN, MABEL LOU!

Yep, I now sleep with a three time murderer! She's done it again!

For those wanting the gory back stories, Incident #1   Incident #2

And let's not forget Attempted Murder of a cat and the big racoon fight!

But this time, was just too much! We stopped by to see 'tilla's dad last night. They hadn't made it to the creek and I needed to return some chain lube I borrowed. We woke Atilla up...he was sleeping in his front yard. He got so excited, his dad asked us to come in the back yard and play.

I inquired about cats. I had smelled a cat in the garage the night before. My pool man assured me that his cat could get away from Mabel and that he would shut his hall door, just in case.

A skunk had run out  from under my car the night before and sure enough, Mabel immediately went on the prowl. It took a minute to wrangle her into 'tilla's yard. I stopped to admire their hand made barbeque pit and big garden before I noticed Mabel was missing! I realized the garage side door was open to the garden! I raced there; I heard her barking. 

In the dark I could tell she had cornered a cat! I pulled but couldn't get her to budge. My pool man grabbed her hips and fell on top of her in the narrow space. She grabbed the cat as she was being pulled out. It was awful!

It turns out that the kitty, Freddy, was also my pool man's... a sibling to the one in the house. He honestly thought this cat was dead. It was 21 and had a cancerous tumor on his throat and could no longer eat. The family had made the decision to put Freddy down a week ago but...could not longer find him.  He apparently had hid in the garage to die!

But that should have been my friend's choice... not my bratty dog's!

I know she is "just a dog" and "doing what dog's do," "following her natural instincts." But that doesn't take the pictures out of my head. I'm shell shocked! I'm so angry at her.

I swear, my #1 criteria for my next dog will be zero prey drive!

5 comments:

Linda@VS said...

In some level of her canine brain, Mabel probably thinks you should be proud of her for her hunting prowess. I, on the other hand, would feel the same way you do.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are going to stay away from all those cliches, we do understand how hard that must have been to see. So sorry, but you still can't be mad at her.

rottrover said...

We are SO sorry tht you had to witness that. Though on some level the cliches are all true... WE still want to walk with you, Mabel Lou. Hopefully we'll see you soon.

-Gizmo, Bart and Ruby

Maggie Mae and Max said...

OoH Mabel :(

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Dexter said...

Miss Mabel,
I am kind of scared of you now. You are a fierce animal! Poor kitty and poor mom for having to watch you go cracker dog. You just simmer down now, OK?

Slobbers,
Mango