Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Where IS Home?

I was reading about Duly Inspired's move into a new home and was reminded of something that happened right after I moved into my (former) home in Tarzana.

Boy was that a stressful time! I flew my mother in to help me move, wrapped a movie of the week a few days later and on my last day of work, Mom and I took a late flight into Boston to drive around and look at fall foliage. We traveled without a plan, stopping where we felt like and moving on when we were ready. The day after our return to California, I moved. Within days, mom had left and I found myself producing TWO commercials for two different directors at the same production company. One was ultra low budget (very stressful) and filmed in Utah. It was a production nightmare thanks to an utterly insane Exec. Producer.

One night, I found myself violently ill and spent the entire night running for the toilet or writhing on the cold tile floor of the bathroom. While trying to deal with the shoot, I managed to find an open clinic on a Sunday. The doc ordered me to bed. My insane producer thought I should trudge to work up a mountain in waist deep snow with extreme diarrhea! I knew for my own health, I had to get out of there. I hopped a plane to L.A. I was so sick, I remember a security guard poking me in baggage claim to tell me I couldn't sleep there. I found my bags and walked outside to catch the shuttle to the valley, sleeping the whole ride home.

I went to my car and prayed for strength to drive home. I somehow found it. As I approached the house, I was perplexed as to where my garage door opener was. I searched the car. I stared at the garage door. I looked up at the address over the door. Then it hit me - I had driven to my OLD house. The townhouse I still own but had rented out. I had a good cry and drove my pathetic self the two and a half miles to my new house.

The kicker? That insane producer felt the need to replace ME with SEVEN people! I had messages waiting from all of them when I got home!

4 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

Wow...talk about an unsympathetic business arrangement! At least you know it took seven people to replace one you!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Linda@VS said...

Wow! What a horrible experience. Have to say I'm getting a kick out of the ads this post triggered. :)

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Velvet, I choose the ads for Amazon. That's all ME... Since I doubt I will make any money off of them, I've decided to have a little fun.

Dexter said...

Oh ick! That sounds just horrible. You poor thing. I bet they would have taken you in at your old house given your condition. What a mean boss to replace you with seven persons. Maybe next time you will get paid seven times as many dollars.

Slobbers,
Mango