Friday, July 08, 2022

Nothing to See Here

 I find it so hard to believe I used to have so much to say. Every hike with Mabel was a freaking adventure... she was always into something! But between my abject depression over the work situation and the fact I have the best hiking buddy in the world, there is nothing to see or talk about.


Our creek has dried up and we've resorted to going to sketchy areas in search of swims.

We were meeting friends for a "late" morning hike 2 weeks ago... 8:30 am! Plans got changed and Maizy and I went alone on the mountain trail shortly before 9. It was so blazing hot and the water was in the car! We had to negotiate from shade puddle to shade puddle.  We were both so drained from the heat, I was afraid one or both of us wouldn't make it off the mountain! You could see my heart beat outside my t-shirt even when I was standing still!

 "I swear the next shade puddle is right around that bend!"

It was so hot... I've never seen MT simply refuse to keep moving! It was scary and I have to never do anything that stupid again! The heat just gets to me way more than it did when I was younger.



But now that my beloved job is over and the reality that I may never have it so good ever again is setting in...it's too hard to make myself do anything but rest. I'm trying to be gentle with myself. Transitions are hard but getting harder. And, I have only taken 9 1/2 hours of vacation in a year and 9 months. 

MT and I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!

2 comments:

Millie and Walter said...

We're glad you and MT made it back from that hike. Our temps have been on a roller coaster lately. Today is downright cool for a July day but it will be back towards 90 degrees in a couple of days.

Snowbrush said...

I miss you...